Thursday, December 6, 2012

Thanksgiving Party Recap

As you may know, Thanksgiving is one of my all-time favorite holidays (see here and here). I love everything about it--especially the food! Last year, for our first Thanksgiving overseas, my family came to England and we had a very traditional evening. This year Dan and I were lucky enough to co-host a party with Katie and Jon for 25 of our friends.




Our menu included all of my favorites:
  • Deep fried turkey
  • Mashed potatoes
  • Sweet potato casserole
  • Stuffing
  • Gravy
  • Cranberry sauces (whole and jellied)
  • Cornbread
  • Green bean casserole
  • Brussels sprouts
  • Sweet potato quinoa (made by Rachel)
  • Apple pie
  • Pumpkin pie
  • Pecan pie
  • Chocolate trifle
  • Pumpkin cake





Katie, Katie's mother-in-law, Dan and I spent most of the morning cooking away. I was impressed at how smoothly it went. It was really fun!





For the first time ever we had a deep-fried turkey. I can't believe I waited this long. It was so tasty! Jon and the boys did a great job with it.


The house looked so festive. I loved how it all turned out.




My favorite thing we did was the "Thankful Jar." I cut up strips of decorative paper and asked everyone to write what they were thankful for. Throughout the night I would read a few responses at a time. There were some really great ones. Some were thoughtful, some were romantic, and some were just plain silly. These were some of my favorites:


"Whiskey and topless women; family and friends;
I am thankful for the chance to live in the UK, the chance to travel,
and to have friends to spend Thanksgiving with."

It was such a fun night! Everyone left full and sleepy--just the way Thanksgiving should be!


No comments:

Post a Comment