Wednesday, August 21, 2013

I'm a Pushy Mum

On Monday I officially became a pushy mother. Those who know me may not be surprised, but I don't mean it in the sense you think I do. I joined an exercise group known as "Pushy Mothers Fitness." It's a free workout class designed for women with young babies. Their philosophy:
The moment your baby arrived into the world you became a Pushy Mother. You’ll always want what’s best for your child and you’ll push as hard as you can to get it. But it’s all too easy to forget about yourself in the process. Our aim is to empower and educate, so that you have the correct advice to give your mind and body the strength to cope with the challenge of motherhood.


Every week nearly twenty women gather in Valley Gardens in Harrogate to participate in an hour-long workout session. It mostly involves fast walking with your stroller up and down the hills of the park. We also stopped at several points to do various exercises on park benches, including triceps dips and push-ups.


This was my first post-natal workout, and I have to say it was pretty difficult. In a few weeks I'm sure it won't be nearly as strenuous, but by the end of the session I was definitely sweating. Actually, I didn't even make it the whole session because, of course, Zoey was hungry. Luckily I was able to catch back up to the group when I finished feeding her.


I went with friend Lena whose baby Olivia is only a few days older than Zoey. Olivia and Zoey were the youngest babies by several weeks; most babies were more than four months old. In fact the instructor came up to me afterwards and said she was impressed I was out there at only seven weeks postpartum.


This group operates through rain and shine. It seems like a great way to meet other mums while getting fresh air and exercise. There's no class next week and I'm out of town the week after that, but I'm looking forward to doing it again soon!

Do you have any fun, alternative exercise routines you do? Tell me about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment